Tuesday, July 7, 2015

There's Something About Mary

It's hard to believe but Anna and I are only six weeks away from leaving for Ghana.  As the preparations continue we are working hard to fundraise and spread awareness for the school and work we will be doing.  With that being said, not everyone reading the blog may know both of us. Therefore, Anna and I are going to take the opportunity to introduce ourselves and share a little bit about why this is what we have chosen to dedicate the next year of our life to.  

For those of you who don't know me, my name is Mary Stang. 

I am from Sycamore, IL and just graduated from Drake University with a degree in elementary education and endorsements in special education, English as a second language, reading and math. While at Drake I had the privilege of studying abroad five different times in Uganda, Ghana (twice), Northern Ireland, and Finland. The summer after my freshman year I spent three weeks studying sustainable development in Uganda. This really sparked my love for not only traveling, but also spending time in third world countries. The following January my life was forever changed as I embarked on a 10 day J-term trip to Ghana. It was during this trip that I absolutely fell in love with the community of Asikuma and my life was forever changed. A year later I returned to Ghana on another Drake led trip and confirmed that this was something I wanted to pursue. 

If you had told me three years ago that this would be what I was doing with my life after graduation, I would have looked at you like you had three heads. I had no intention of traveling to or falling in love with Africa. I lived in my bubble, first Sycamore then Drake, and was unaware of what was going on in the world around me.  This didn’t bother me. I didn’t know any different. The thought of teaching abroad was not even in the back of my mind, but once I started traveling and started thinking about it I couldn’t stop. 

I don’t know why my mind constantly wanders to the red dirt roads. I don’t know why when other people think about their families my thoughts are somewhere in the village thinking about all the families who fight day in and day out to stay together as a family. I don’t know why when people complain about going to school I think about the kids who are fighting for the right to go to school and those who never had the right to an education. I don’t know why when people complain about cafeteria food I think about all the people who would do just about anything for a chicken bone let alone a full plate of subpar food. I don’t know why when people complain about how hot it is I think about those who walk miles to have water regardless if it’s clean. I don’t know why when people talk about being home sick I think about all those who don’t have a place to call home or a family who loves them. I don’t know why it’s the last place I think about before going to sleep at night and the first thing that crosses my mind in the morning.

But what I do know is that regardless of how hard of a decision it was to make and the sacrifices I will be making, I am truly looking forward to this next journey and seeing what is in store for me. I'm looking forward to growing as an educator and a person. I'm looking forward to getting to know the incredible kids and watch them make a difference in my life. And I'm looking forward to watching all of you make a difference in the lives of these incredible kids.

Please continue to follow us on this journey and share what we are doing. We are always more than willing to answer questions or give more information. If you feel compelled to make a donation or support the school in some other capacity please either email us at kccschool15@gmail.com or visit Kingdom Cares International.

~Mary~

No comments:

Post a Comment