Sunday, September 13, 2015

#Blessed

Mary and I were talking with James, the man who is helping with the KCC farm, on the front porch the other day. We started talking about our families and I asked him how many siblings he had. He responded that he had 2 sisters and 5 brothers. He then asked me how many siblings I had and I responded I have one older sister. James smiled and then asked me how many blessings I had. I was confused by the question and of course asked him to repeat the question numerous times. He then rephrased his question and asked me how many brothers I have. I must have had the strangest look on my face because James immediately began to explain. I have to admit I did not really listen to his explanation because although the terms blessings is usually used to describe the boys I know that these children are all blessings in their own way. It doesn’t matter if they are male or female. I can think of an instant with each of these children that made me feel blessed to know them.

Kofi is a very bright pupil. He loves math, but seems to have ease when it comes to all subject areas. He enjoys being in school because he understands what he is learning and because he is the class clown. Kofi can get along with anyone and that includes his P5 teacher and classmates. I also enjoy observing in his class because I never know what he is going to say next! Kofi is also the captain of the mission center’s football (aka soccer) team. After school he can often be found out in front of the house juggling a ball and practicing his moves. When the other boys see him outside they run to join him for a little scrimmage. All around Kofi is an amazing kid and makes me smile everyday. He loves being active, spending time outside, and hanging out with his friends.

Samuel is the definition of a gentleman. There is no other way to describe him. When Mary and I first arrived at the mission center he was one of the kids who greeted us at our cab and immediately started helping us carry our bags inside. Till this day whenever Samuel sees us carrying something he always wants to help out by carrying it for us.  He even helped Mary and I wash some of our stinky dirty laundry just because! Samuel likes to spend a lot of his time drawing. He has made me a few pictures to hang in our room! He also draws pictures for kids in the house who have specific requests, but don’t want to draw it for themselves. Samuel is also very brilliant with beads. He has made numerous bracelets and rings for some of the volunteers! He has such a giving sprit. Samuel loves reading, playing basketball, and sharing his creative passion with others.

Kwame is quiet. He doesn’t have much to say unless he is passionate about something. I enjoy watching him cheer on his favorite soccer team on the television. He is also very animated when it comes to games. Kwame and a few of the other older boys love to play a board game that seems like a combination of trouble and Sorry! all in one. When he is playing he is usually calling out what number he wants to roll or taunting another boy if he happens to be winning. Kwame also enjoys being around his friends. Sometimes he will just sit and watch as Samuel or Obed draw a new picture. He likes to be part of the crowd. Although Kwame is quiet he has a way of showing you that he cares about you. Whether it be sneaking a hug or a note left with a beaded ring inside of it the kid can sure make you feel special! Kwame loves being one of the boys, playing games, and surprising people.

Justice is the watchman at the mission center. He is always walking around the compound checking to see that everything is running according to plan. If he finds something out of place he fixes it right on the spot. For example if a kid is crying he always knows what to say to them to make them smile or if he sees you looking for something chances are he will find it and deliver it to you before you even comprehend what is happening. Like Obed, Justice has a special connection with one of our little ones, Ester. She absolutely adores Justice and he enjoys making sure she is well taken care of. Wherever Justice is Ester is not far behind. Justice is also Rosmonds older brother. He has a kind heart and a gentle smile. Justice loves anything that challenges him, lending a helping hand on the farm, and making things with his hands.

Anita, like most of the older kids, is very helpful around the house. She makes sure that thing are in order and that the younger kids are following the rules. She is a great role model for Michelle and Theresa who she shares a room with. Anita will always greet you with a bear hug whenever she sees you walk into the room. She is quiet and out going all at the same time. Anita is a great dancer. Whenever I hear music I always look around the room to see what kind of movies Anita will be showcasing. If for some reason I look and cannot immediately find Anita I usually assume she is in the kitchen helping Auntie Comfort cook or in her room quietly reading. Anita loves reading before bedtime, helping with the baby girls, and dancing.
Jonathan was away in Kwahu with his mother when Mary and I first arrived at the mission center. He recently returned and it seems he brought a breath of fresh air with him. Everyone was very excited to see Jonathan when he arrived! All of the kids dropped whatever they were doing to join in chanting Jonathan’s name as they rushed toward him with open arms. I do not know Jonathan all that well, but I am excited to get to know him! He is obviously loved by all of the kids in the mission center. I can’t help but assume I will love him too! I will tell you what I have learned about Jonathan during this past week. He is very caring, polite, and hard working. He makes sure all of the boys in his room have their uniforms ironed for school and follow the house rules. This is especially helpful at bedtime! Every time I see him walking about the compound he always greets me as well as smiles. Finally he is very hard working inside the classroom and outside the classroom. Whether it is rewriting his notes from school that day or practicing his soccer moves, he puts all of his energy in the task in front of him. Jonathan loves science, soccer, and being surrounded by his peers.

We are excited to continue to get to know these unique and loving children over the next couple months. Stay tuned to meet some more of our amazing children!

Please continue to follow us on this journey and share what we are doing. We are always more than willing to answer questions or give more information. If you feel compelled to make a donation or support the school in some other capacity please either email us at kccschool15@gmail.com or visit Kingdom Cares International.

Peace and Blessing,

| Anna |

No comments:

Post a Comment